Lifting, carrying and manual handling injuries
If you have suffered an injury after having to lift, carry or manually handle (pushing, pulling or supporting) something in the workplace then you could be entitled to claim compensation. Parts of the body commonly injured through heavy lifting include the back and neck, and in some cases people can also be left with a hernia or sprain.
Many lifting and carrying injuries our solicitors see could easily have been avoided and are usually the result of:
- Being required to manually handle excessive weight
- Failed of the employer to provide adequate training or refresher training
- Insufficient risk assessments
- Failure of employer to provide suitable equipment
- Failed of the employer to provide a safe system of work or to provide for assistance from sufficient numbers of staff
Industries at risk
People working in a wide range of sectors can be at risk of injury from lifting and carrying but these are the industries from which we see the most compensation enquiries.
- Logistics, LGV delivery drivers and warehouse personnel
- Retail workers
- Healthcare workers
Recent case wins
- Carrs Solicitors win back injury compensation claim for claimant
- Carrs Solicitors have won significant compensation for manual handling claims
Something to remember
Both carrying injuries and lifting injuries can actually be the result of strain which has built up over time, and this means that they might not occur while in the workplace – but can still be attributed to a work routine.
If there is clear evidence of excessive strain in the workplace, it may be possible to establish that the proximate cause of injury was the excessive strain encountered in the workplace. The Health & Safety Executive provide guidance as to appropriate weights and forces and lifting techniques and the Manual Handling Operations Regulations approved code of practice provides a useful chart which summarises guidance on recommended maximum weights to carry, lift and push or pull if a lifting, carrying or manually handling injury is to be avoided.
Carrs Solicitors have more than 20 years of experience in dealing with workplace injury claims of all kinds. We handle all claims on a no win no fee basis for clients throughout England and Wales.
If you have been injured after lifting or carrying large or heavy items at work, and you feel that failings on the part of your employer are at least partly to blame, we can help you to claim compensation.